Sunday, April 18, 2010

Celebrating Music Weecakies



Music saved my life.  Really.  Literally.  Because of my personal involvement with music and singing and sharing my talents, my life was saved from a very unhappy existance.  My music involvement came at a very early age.  My Mom loved to sing, and we were constantly singing;  in the car, at the piano,  at church,  everywhere we went.  We always sang the alphabet-nursery-rhyme song, and my mother always sang a special song titled "The Alice Blue Gown."  I grew up listening to the classics, Bach, Beethoven, Rachmaninoff, Chopin, and also the greats-Benny Goodman, Glen Miller and others.  I know all the lyrics to the popular Broadway plays of my childhood-The Sound of Music, Oklahoma, My Fair Lady, Peter Pan.  My parents loved music.  I love music.  My Mother made sure that I could understand all those little markings on that strange lined paper by arranging with my Aunt Cec (who was also our next-door neighbor) to teach me how to play the piano.  Although I wasn't the best student (I hated practicing) she was successful in teaching me to read music, appreciate good melodies, and hear beautiful harmonies.  I am indebted to Aunt Cec because she patiently taught me the fundamentals.  As a teenager, I could have gotten into a lot of trouble, but instead, I chose to sing.  Every opportunity that I had to sing, whether it was with a school group, or at church, or with friends, I sang.  So, when my friend Laura asked me to make Weecakies to celebrate her daughter Sara's Senior Concert, in preparation for graduation from the University of Utah with a Music Performance Major, I jumped at the chance.  I was able to do this because I was taught how to make a treble-clef as a child by my wonderful Aunt Cec.  So.....in celebration of music, I have designed Music Weecakies.  They are simply deep, rich chocolate cake truffles dipped with white chocolate with a piped treble-clef on the top.  The red-rose-topped ones are choclate cake truffle, dipped in milk chocolate and drizzled with dark chocolate, topped with a hand-rolled red rose.  Happy Senior Concert Sara, and a big THANK YOU to my parents and my Aunt Cec for making music an important part of my life.  Happy Music Weecakies!!!


Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment